Labels

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Little-Known Fil-Ams Hope To Impress

MANILA, Philippines — A couple of little-known Filipino-American first-round draft picks are eager and raring to make waves in the PBA. Alex Mallari, the No. 3 overall pick by Petron Blaze, and Jason Deutchmann, selected 10th by league newcomer Global Port, have actually played in the PBA Developmental League. The 6-3 Mallari, 25, and Deutchmann, 24, were born and bred in the United States and their size could expose matchup problems since Mallari can almost play two guard roles and is also adept at the wingman position. Deutchmann, who stands 6-5, is also effective being a wingman but is also confident at power-forward. Still, both players know they have to work doubly hard to prove that they truly deserve being picked ahead. “I’ve got to get stronger, gain more pounds,” said Mallari, who is about 170lbs and will go up against bigger guys at the wing spot like Joe Devance of B-Meg. “I also have to improve on my outside shooting and playing defense.” Mallari came to the Philippines last year and played for Big Chill in the D-League. Before coming over, Mallari had no idea about the PBA “that it was big here, that everybody loves basketball out here.” It was through his friends like TNT’s Ryan Reyes who informed him to try and play here in the country but it was his father Val, a former track star at University of San Diego, who influenced him to get into sport. Mallari actually started as a football player until the age of 17, but chose basketball in high school. “Football is my first love. I’d probably tryout for the Azkals if I’m not a basketball player,” said Mallari, a former Louise Clark State stalwart, whose mother Dena is from Subic. Deutchmann, on the other hand, grew up in Los Angeles but went to the University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, and later at the University of San Diego. Like Mallari, Deutchmann also learned about the PBA through players like Marc Pingris and Kerby Raymundo. Deutchmann had brief stints with Pharex in the now-defunct PBL, as well as San Miguel in the ASEAN Basketball League, before going to the D-League with Café France. “I’m more comfortable in the wing spot, but because of my height. I’ll be asked to play a lot of inside and I rebound the ball well. It will create a lot of mismatches,” said Deutchmann of his role with Batang Pier of team owner Mikee Romero. “The things I have to improve I guess is to make good decisions, staying composed and keeping my poise,” said Deutchmann, whose parents are Howard and Maria, a native of Pampanga. “I always want to play basketball. I tried flag (American) football… I stopped that when I was tackled. Lots of people compared me to Danny Seigle (of Barako Bull). But I like Jared Dillinger (of TNT) and Jay Washington (of Petron),” added Deutchmann.

No comments:

Post a Comment