Labels

Monday, August 27, 2012

Trade talks back home fire up LA



Trade talks back home fire up LA
By Nelson Beltran (The Philippine Star) 

TAIPEI – In the end it was the smallest man with the biggest heart who made the difference for the Smart Gilas II team.
The 5-foot-8 LA Tenorio played like a man possessed in the last quarter, providing the spark and grit as the Nationals came back from 11 points down to draw level and eventually broke through over the formidable Americans as Smart Gilas won their fourth Jones Cup.
It was a dream finish for the former Atenean who fought the US team’s James Justice tit-for-tat under grinding pressure as the game stood in the balance in a gripping finale.
Tenorio pulled through in the clutch to preserve his own heroics and he did it by pushing back in his mind some pesky talks about an impending trade talks on the pro league where he was reportedly involved in.
“I was surprised. I just heard here our coaching staff talking with other teams for a trade involving me,” said Tenorio, the Alaska lead point guard in the PBA.
At the same time, Tenorio divulged his team nearly missed his services together with his Alaska teammates – Sonny Thoss and Mac Baracael – as there were alleged moves to disallow them from joining the Nationals here.
“I don’t know what exactly happened. As for me, there’s no way they can stop me since it is in my contract that I can opt to play for the Philippine team if chosen or invited,” Tenorio told The STAR.
“This is a dream for me though I’ve been part of the national pool that played in the Jones Cup before,” said Tenorio, among the amateur players included in the 2006 Phl squad.
Fresh from Ateneo then, the feisty guard didn’t remember much from those stints except playing only two games against Kazakhstan and Japan.
Past forward to 2012, Tenorio was the hands-down choice as MVP after playing tremendous games and emerging the Philippines’ hero in the championship match.
“It actually came to my mind before the game, and I was surprised it happened,” said Tenorio.
“We’re all tired. What I did was just keep on praying,” he added.


His prayers were answered, and the Nationals left for home yesterday with as newly minted Jones Cup champs.



No comments:

Post a Comment